Thursday, December 16, 2010

A Journey Home


Having an adopted child means that we talk about adoption in our house a lot. And I really thought that each of my kids had a good, age appropriate understanding of what it means. But apparently I was a little wrong on that count. Because a few weeks ago Ezra came up to me asking:

“Mom, was I adopted from Queens?”

Now he knew that he was born in Queens but somehow that information got turned around in his little head. Until he started to believe that we adopted him from Queens. After trying my hardest not to laugh at his question we talked about it until he understood that he was just born at a hospital in Queens. But ever since that conversation he has been obsessed with going to back Queens to see where he is from.

Since we were in the city the other day we decided to drive through Queens so he could satisfy his need for finding his roots. He was really entranced watching Flushing from the car window. We even stopped outside of the hospital he was born in so he could take a picture.





In the end I don't think it was quite the experience he was expecting. He did mention that he wished Queens looked more like Manhattan. But it settled some questions for him. Sometime I marvel at how complex these little people really are.

Until next time.....
~Kayte

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I love that you did that and that it gave him some of the answers he was looking for.

    On another note, how did I miss that you live in NY? Where in NY? I was all over the place - I was actually born on a sofa in Woodside, Queens! Thats why my parents named me Sofia! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am your new follower. You can follow me back at http://showmemama.com. Make sure you leave a comment so I know you visited.

    Have a great weekend
    ShowMeMama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your children are adorables. Your are a good mother, an example for many woman, you have a pretty big heart too :)

    Here mine: http://www.giozi.com/2010/12/this-moment-llego-el-jamon.html
    Is about a ham that my husband bought by internet an came this week. He was so happy like a child.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a feeling this story will be shared around the dinner table for years to come. I also adore that you took the time out to satisfy his curiosity--truly a sign of a good mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a heartfelt and touching posting! I love the picture you took as well.

    Thanks for the follow at Bentobloggy.com - I'm following you back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's wonderful that you are open about your son's adoption within your family. My sister was adopted and my parents were always open with both of us about it and just the other day she said how happy she was that they always talked about it, it made it normal for her. We have a few funny stories about the topic from questions we had as kids and we still talk about them. Enjoy every moment!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww, that is so cute. He is an adorable little boy!

    ReplyDelete