Friday, October 29, 2010

stART


The book we chose for stART this week  was Two Little Witches by Harriet Ziefert.
It’s a counting story about two little girls who meet while trick or treating. I’d been holding this book and art project for a couple of weeks knowing it would be best done right before Halloween. So after reading we all made our own trick or treat bags.



I had the kids go through their dressers and find an old t-shirt that either didn’t fit them anymore or was stained. I turned them inside out and ironed them flat so all the seams matched up.

Then the kids and I sewed the bottom of the t-shirt closed. Little hands on a little person’s sewing machine; this was my favorite part. 



Once that was done we turned them right side out again and cut off the sleeves. I drew a half circle for them around the collar that they followed with their scissors to make the opening of the bag large enough for big handfuls of candy.



Once our bags were made the really fun part began. We got out the fabric paint to make our trick or treat bags extra spooky. I put a sheet of paper inside the bag so the paint wouldn’t bleed through to the other side. Then we went at it.



Jael decided to put a black cat on hers and Ezra made what he says is a yeti. Mateos wasn’t sure what he wanted to do so I let him pick his colors and just go. Ezra told his brother that his design was “abstract, and very creative art.” It was quite a cute moment.



Now I just have to put them somewhere safe from little hands until they dry.

Until next time.......
~Kayte

7 comments:

  1. How much fun! My kids made these at the library during the summer and they will work great for halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and following! I am now following you - great project!
    http://takeamomswordforit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this is really nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! You get to reuse an old shirt and have a fun bag.

    Please stop by and link this post to Read.Explore.Learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat idea! I love how proud she is of her shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant idea! I can't wait til my daughter is old enough to use a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete