Wednesday, October 27, 2010

We’re Gamers

And by gamers, I mean serious, no holds barred, board gamers. We don’t own any version of Nintendo or its contemporaries. You can usually find us on any given night around our well-loved dining room table engaging in a spirited game of monopoly junior or Uno. I’m not sure when this tradition started, it’s just one of those natural ones.

Let me tell you though, we can get rowdy when it comes to games. Somehow I was blessed with three very competitive children, and don’t even get me started on the Mr. and his need to win.
*He would of course contest this statement, but since it’s my blog ;)*

Tonight we all played clue together for the first time. I picked up the classic edition from Target yesterday in preparation for our Halloween party. Clue just seemed like the perfect game for Halloween. But since our kids had never played it we took it for a test run tonight.

The Mr. and I each teamed up with a boy and Jael played by herself. First the Mr. set everything up and proceeded to explain the game to the kids while I was in the kitchen finishing up dinner. Everything seemed to be going well from what I could hear until Jael realized that the characters were all old. The Mr. diffused her upset by telling her that Ms. Scarlet was like mommy’s age. She couldn’t understand though why someone so young and beautiful would be a murderer and said as much to her father. Who then jokingly asked “can’t you see mommy being a murderer?”

And what does my lovely little girl say.

“Well, ya.”

Don’t let this sweet face fool you. She spent the first five years of her life in NYC; the sarcasm is here to stay.


We finally started playing after I admonished them not to make fun of mommy when she wasn’t in the room to defend herself. I can't say for sure if they got the message.

We all took our rolls very seriously. Ezra and I were Mr. Plum and we decided to use a Savannah accent a la The Murder episode of The Office. Just imagine me pretending to be a man and talking like Michael Scott playing Caleb Crawdad. I’m pretty sure I said, “I do declare” at least fifty times. If your not an Office fan you probably have no idea what I'm talking about and that's OK too. It was funny, take my word for it. Jael was Ms. Scarlet, of course. And Mateos and the Mr. were Mrs Peacock. Don't ask, I can't explain that one.

Mateos and the Mr. won the game by accusing Mrs. White in the ballroom with the lead pipe. Then I sent them off to bed so I could get back to work making things like this.


Until next time.......
~Kayte

3 comments:

  1. Oh I loved to play Clue when I was a kid! We haven't played it with our boys yet, we're big on Yahtzee and scrabble these days. Hoping to get Monopoly for Christmas... that should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting on my blog. We love board games, too! Have you ever played Settlers of Catan? (It's our current favorite.) The thought of someone talking like Michael Scott talking like Caleb Crawdad cracked me up! Also, i love the way your name is spelled. My name is spelled a little differently, too! (Brittani)

    ReplyDelete